Episode 113 | Markers for ADHD
Dr. Brown and Eric Tivers began the 113th Episode of ADHD reWired by discussing “Cookies and Accountability”. It was a great story about Dr. Brown and his wife and the temptations of a plate of chocolate chip cookies.
Eric got a lot of information out of Dr. Brown and this show will most likely call for a second or possibly third listen to get it all.
2 conditions under which those with ADHD do well.
Most ADHD people have no problem focusing on tasks they are interested in or tasks for which they are afraid of consequences.
Dr. Brown went through the 6 different markers he looks for when diagnosing and during treatment of his ADHD patients.
- Can they get organized and/or get started?
- How much are they procrastinating
- Attention / Focus
- Can they focus or shift focus.
- Do they get locked on to one thing and can’t get back on the current task
- Do they finish things in a reasonable amount of time?
- Many people do not get the necessary amount of sleep
- Are they able to sustain effort?
- Managing frustration & Emotions
- Do their emotions come on too strong or too weak
- Some of them get excited with “What ifs”
- Obsessing about things they will do or buy at a later time.
- Working Memory
- Can they keep one thing in mind while doing something else?
- No so much the long term but short term memory
- Monitor and self-regulate actions
- Do you come across to others as you intend to.
To contact Dr. Thomas Brown: